Saturday, July 17, 2010

What's Cool, Creamy, and Blue all over?

Blueberry Cheescake Bars!

A couple weeks ago we had our monthly salad supper with some of our church's choir members. For several months I stuck with the salad theme (those recipes to come later), but this month I was ready to bake something for dessert. Thanks to my mom and a blueberry farm in Nesbit, MS, my freezer was stocked with the little blue gems. Thanks to couponing and a sale at Kroger, there was an abundance of cream cheese in my refrigerator. A match made in heaven.

With a little help from Mrs. Crocker...Betty, to be specific, I decided what better for a hot summer night than a cool, creamy blueberry cheesecake bar? I mean really, just look at them.



You know you want one. Yes?! I thought so.

Adapted from here

Prep time: 40 min
Total time: 4 hours 10 min
Makes: 28 bars

Crust:

1 Pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker oatmeal cookie mix
½ cup of butter or margarine, softened
1 egg

Filling:

3 packages (8oz ea) Neufchatel - 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softned
¾ cup sugar
½ cup whipping cream
3 eggs
1/2 jar (5oz) blueberry preserves
1 ½ cups fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) whole blueberries


Directions:

1. Heat oven to 350°. Spray bottom and sides of 13 x 9 inch pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, beat cookie mix, butter, and egg with electric mixer on low until soft dough forms. Press in bottom of pan.

2. Bake 15 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in another large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar with mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add whipping cream and eggs; beat on low speed until well blended.

3. Spread preserves over partially cooled crust. Sprinkle with blueberries. Pour cream cheese mixture evenly over blueberries, spreading gently to cover.

4. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until center is set. Cool 30 minutes. Refrigerate at least 2 hours. For bars, cut into 7 rows by 4 rows. Store covered in refrigerator.


That's it. Easy as blueberry cheesecake bars and oh, so yummy.
Unfortunately, I had to drop these off at the party and tend to my sick guy at home, but I heard they got rave reviews. We also enjoyed a couple here at home that I saved for us. I will definitely be making these again. I think it would also be fun to throw some raspberries in the mix. Can anyone say Fourth of July favorite!

Let's just take one more look at those beauties....

Enjoy!
Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment