Friday, September 17, 2010

Labor Day

I ran a couple of errands the other day, and based on what I saw I must be more behind than I thought.  I don't get out much and the days do often run together, but I really didn't think eight weeks had passed since my last post.  I really thought it had only been about three weeks.  But three weeks would put us mid-September, approximately six weeks from the next "holiday", the one that requires me to buy bags of mellowcreme pumpkins to fill up my pumpkin candy jar and anticipate little costumed visitors at my door.  And what's more, if it was mid-September, that joyous season filled with lights, ornaments, carols, and gifts, punctuated by the celebration of our Savior's birth, would still be nearly 100 days away.  But from the looks of things it must be late October.  Time is really flying by these days.

So before any more time is lost, here's the rundown of the last holiday's activities. 

The Friday of Labor Day weekend we went to our first high school football game of the season.  We live about a block away from a high school so we invited some great friends over for pizza and hot wings and then just walked over to the stadium.  Unfortunately the game was less than exciting, but the fellowship time with friends was nice. 

Monday we took an impromptu trip to a neighboring town to visit the zoo.  For being a small town, we were really impressed with the quality of the zoo.  It is on the smaller side, but a lot of the exhibits are "open air".  The animals aren't hidden behind wire cages.  We enjoyed the spontaneity of the trip, but the timing put a crimp in my photographic exploits.  My camera battery died after about 30 minutes.

Here are a couple pics I was able to get.




Beautiful Giraffe, I love the coloring.




Our feet inside the footprint of an African Elephant. 

Throughout our visit we were struck by the magnificence of God's creation.  All these creatures have little purpose, but to serve as examples of God's glory and to give us joy in life.  The array of colors, forms, sizes, and details displayed in each of the animals speaks to an imaginative, powerful, caring, loving God. 

How thankful I am for the Lord's mercy, love and care. 


Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet our heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?
Matthew 6:26

No comments:

Post a Comment