Thursday, November 11, 2010

New Orleans Trip #2

3:15 AM

This is not a time of day I see often.
This is not a time of day I care to see often.

This is the time of day we get up to leave for New Orleans once a month.
This is the time of day that put me in a slightly cranky mood last week.
This is the time of day that I met with more excitement the first time around.

The novelty of this time of day has worn off. 

There was one glimmer of hope for this time of day, and it was quite literally a glimmer.  A couple hours into the trip, I was stargazing out the window, a favorite pastime of mine.  I found Orion and as I was looking, a shooting star came flying into view and then was gone.  I felt like God had sent that shooting star just for me.  I had to smile and get over my slight crankiness.

Overall, our second trip to New Orleans for Will's doctoral work was met with less, let's say, energy, than the first.  A pair of congested sinuses, runny noses, and sore throats were trying to rob us of our fun little getaway.  But with a box of Kleenex in hand and an assortment of decongestant and cough suppressant in tow, we were able to make it through the weekend.

My plans for the weekend were to spend my time in Audubon Park visiting the zoo and taking pictures of all the trees clad in their fall colored leaves.  The first part of that plan was very successful.  The second, not so much.  I didn't see one tree, not one, with the yellow, orange, or red leaves I was expecting.  Just a bunch of green.  Don't get me wrong, green is excellent on any other day.  But on this day I wanted some more variety.  I think I would rather have missed the whole leaf dropping process and had bare trees than all that green.  This is what happens when you have an expectation and it isn't met.  But then you have to move on, so that is what I will do now.

The Audubon Zoo was great.  It's a very nicely kept zoo with open exhibits that allow you to feel very close to the animals.  There were some animals I felt they were lacking, but the ones they had were awesome.  It was a crisp, cloudless day, perfect for the zoo and much more relaxing than trying to navigate myself around town.  The animals...

Momma and baby orangutan




Hungry monkey


Suspicious duck


Playful Jaguars



Curious giraffes



Elegant White Bengal Tiger



Mischievous Asian Elephants



Talkative Macaw



I love the zoo.  I can't wait to take Will back with me.

I'll end this post there and come back later with a recap of the food we ate.  It deserves it's own post. 

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment