Sunday, December 5, 2010

Reverend Will


We were recently blessed by the desire of our pastor and church to ordain Will into the gospel ministry of Jesus Christ, thus giving him the title of reverend.  To me this honor is a further confirmation of the call that God has placed on Will's, and in some ways now, our, life.  Even though ordination must come to you through the local church body, Will has done his part to follow through with the call God put on his heart in eighth grade. 
He willingly accepted the call, surrendered his life, committed to prepare, and has served the local church for the last three years.  I am very proud of the heart my husband has for worship and music ministry and the integrity with which he serves.  He desires excellence, but does not neglect the one we seek to worship or the people he is leading to worship.  I count it a privilege to serve alongside him where I am able and to support him always.  I look forward to seeing what the Lord chooses to do through the ministry he entrusts to Will in the future. 

On to the service... 



As should be expected with the ordination of a music minister, the service was packed full of music.  The youth choir sang one of our favorite anthems, Brooklyn Tabernacle's "My Help".  The adult choir sang a beautiful arrangement of "Jesus Paid it All", and of course there were a few hymns including "Great is Thy Faithfulness" and "How Firm a Foundation". 
The service was made even more personal by a letter written for Will by his long time music minister, mentor, and role model Dr. James D. Whitmire. 
The biggest surprise, however, was a song written by our orchestra director, Deborah, based on Will's favorite scripture, Isaiah 43, and sung by yours truly. 

We had been sneaking around for over a week trying to pull off the surprise and a couple of times I was sure we were busted.  But the look on his face when I got up from the pew and walked to the stage during the middle of the service confirmed that he didn't have a clue. 

The text of this song could not have been more appropriate for the occasion. 

You Are Mine

This is what the Lord says,
He who created you,
This is what the Lord says,
He who formed you:
Fear not, for I have redeemed you,
I have summoned you by name.
You are mine.

And when you pass through the waters
I will be with you
And when you pass through the rivers,
They will not sweep over you.
And when you walk through the fire
You will not be burned;
for you are precious in My sight,
You are mine.

This is what the Lord Says,
Your redeemer the Holy One;
This is what the Lord says,
Your Savior and your God.
Fear not, for I will be with you,
My servant, I've chosen you;
And you are mine.

And you are mine.
You are mine!



The service concluded with a time of laying on of hands by other ordained ministers and deacons, including Will's dad.  It was a sweet time of prayer. 

We were so thankful to have most of our families present to celebrate with us. 




Congratulations, babe.  I love you and am so happy to be your help mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment