Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Welcome Fall and Apple Bread Recipe

Here in East Texas we experienced temperatures in the upper 90s and into triple digits through mid September.  I feared we would completely bypass fall and plummet head first into a harsh winter.  Much to my pleasure, however, we woke up one morning following multiple days of high temperatures to a pleasant crispness in the air.  Dare I say Fall has arrived!  The light breeze and cool air has been so refreshing following the oppressive heat of summer.  For the first time in months we were able to enjoy our tiny patio without needing a shower after five minutes, and we're on the shady side of the building.  As a matter of fact, a couple nights last week Will required a jacket to sit outside. 

In honor of the cooler temps, I whipped up a batch of apple bread to enjoy on our weekend away to New Orleans (more on that soon). 


Notice I only have one picture of the finished product.  I always get to the end, after I've dumped everything together, and realize I didn't take a single picture of the process.  Let's just say, I'm no Pioneer Woman.  I don't know how she chops, snaps, peels, snaps, mixes, snaps, pours, snaps, snaps, snaps.  I guess I'm too focused on getting it done.  Oh well, I'll leave the fancy stuff up to her and I'll continue to be inspired to do better.


Apple Bread


1¾ hours
35 min prep SERVES 20 / 2 loafs

Ingredients

3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon nutmeg

3 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup oil
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tablespoon vanilla

4 cups apples; core, peel and dice (Granny Smith – dice larger) [about 6-8 small apples]
1/2 cup chopped pecans - optional


1. Whisk flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, soda, salt and baking powder together and set aside.
2. In stand mixer, beat eggs; add two types of sugar, oil, applesauce and vanilla.
3. Add dry ingredients. (Batter will be stiff.)
4. Stir in apples and nuts.
5. Spoon into 2 greased loaf pans.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. (Check after 50 minutes with cake tester.)

Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment